German is one of the most important languages in business, culture, communication, science and intellectual life. More than 100 million Europeans speak German in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, parts of Luxembourg, northern Italy, eastern Belgium and eastern France. It is amongst the ten most-spoken languages in the world.
Recognizing the importance of German language the Department of German was established in 1970 in collaboration with Goethe Institute to impart language training to Armed Forces personnel, officials of Government Ministries and the civilian students. Since then it has trained thousands of students and enjoys a very good reputation in Pakistan and abroad for its high quality language training. In fact, it is the only Department in the country which is offering full-time intensive courses of German language ranging from beginners to advanced level, and degree courses from undergraduate to postgraduate level.
- MPhil leading to PhD
- This program is offered in collaboration with the Faculty of Advanced Integrated Studies and Research (AIS&R). Note: Further details are available on the webpage of the Faculty of AIS&R
- M.A. German Language & Literature
- There will be 20 courses with total of 60 credits with additional 4 credits reserved for Comprehension Viva-Voce. These courses will be further sub-divided under the following broad heads, according to the requirements of the German Language.
- BAML (Core/ Major subject: German)
- Duration: 8 Semesters (4 years)
- Session begins: January / August (Morning session only)
- Admission Criteria: Intermediate with at least 45% Marks
The language courses are designed to provide a lively and stimulating environment for language learning. The intensive courses with 30 hours of weekly instructions (5 hours daily & 6 days a week ) are offered in the morning session and the part-time courses with 15 hours weekly (3 hours daily & 5 days a week) in the afternoon session. Teachers especially trained in teaching German as a foreign language, provide instruction on a professional level. Equal emphasis is laid on developing listening, speaking, reading and writing skills of learners. Training is imparted using modern teaching aids and proven language teaching methodologies. Medium of instruction is primarily German language. However, a teacher may choose to explain certain language concepts in English or Urdu in order to facilitate easier and quick understanding by the learner. The following German language courses are offered by the Department:
- Interpreter ship